10. Monkey Brains
We bet you thought that people eating the brainsof monkeys only happened in the movies. Well, it turns out that monkey brainscan be found on offer outside of Indiana jones and temple of doom. In fact,unlike the other foods on this list, monkey brines can kill you quite slowly.This is because they potentially carry something called variant creuztfeldt-jakob disease. Similar to mad cow disease, this sickness destroys your brain,killing you slowly. Those affected lose the ability to walk and talk as thebody shuts down. So when you get offered monkey brains the next time you’reout, just stick with the chicken.
9. Silver- Stripe Blaasop
Like the stonefish and pufferfish, the silver-stripe blaasop is a potentially deadly exotic food. Originally found in theIndian Ocean, this fish can now be found in the Mediterranean Sea where itkilled at least 10 fishermen in 2007. Unaware of what they were about to eat,these people had no idea that this fish has deadly amounts of tetrodotoxin inits skin, liver and reproductive organs. Failure to properly prepare the fishcan mean ingesting the deadly toxin. Like the pufferfish, improperly handledmeat can cause all sorts of issues ranging from circulatory problems toparalysis and death.
This is the national fruit of Jamaica is asdeadly as it is beautiful. Looking for it in your local market won’t helpbecause many countries have banned its import. That’s because this fruit cancause a lot of problems. Specifically, eating an unripe ackee, its pods orseeds can cause some pretty unpleasant side- effects. First, you start vomitingwhich is followed up by seizures and loss of consciousness. Untreated and youwill likely die. The culprit chemical in the fruit is called hypoglycin and itdoes its damage by lowering the victim’s blood sugar. Even cooking or canningdoesn’t get rid of the hypoglycin, meaning this fruit can stay dangerous long afterit’s been picked.
Another extremely poisonous fish, the pufferfishis considered a delicacy in japan. The big thing you need to make sure of ifyou try this exotic food is that the chef who prepares it knows exactly what heis doing. This isn’t just a regular fish which you filet and throw on thegrill. The pufferfish is full of a deadly tetrodotoxin found in certain organsand flesh. If you’re served a contaminated piece you’ll know pretty quicklythanks to some obvious signs. Symptoms include vomiting, increased heart rate,decreased blood pressure and muscle paralysis which can stop you frombreathing. Needless to say, chefs who handle this food need to be properly certified.
One of the most venomous fish in the world, thestonefish is also eaten by many people. Actually, the danger to people isn’tfrom eating the stonefish because the heat from cooking essentially neutralizesthe venom. Instead, it’s the act of preparing this fish that can be dangerous.Thanks to the venomous spines along its back, any chef must be very careful inpreparing this fish. A sting is very painful and can cause death tissue in theimmediate area. Other side- effects include seizures, paralysis and shock whichcan lead to death if untreated for too long.
5. Blood Clams
Clams are a favorite of many people all over theworld. Like many types of food, lack of proper cooking can leave dangerousviruses and diseases that can be harmful. The blood cockle tops this list ofpotentially deadly mollusks. Found in the Indian and pacific oceans, the bloodclam is a significant food source in coastal china. If you’re ever offered one make sure it’sbeen very well cooked – or better yet, just say no. that’s because this clam israrely cooked, if at all, long enough to kill the viruses and bacteria whichare commonly present. Eat a raw or undercooked blood clam and you risk gettinghepatitis a and e or even typhoid and dysentery.
4. Cassava Root
If it wasn’t for the cassava root we wouldn’thave tapioca pudding. Found in South America, Africa and parts of Asia, cassavaisn’t extremely useful and important in the food world that said, this exoticroot is potentially deadly if not prepared right. That’s because, in additionto being rich in protein, vitamins and carbohydrates, cassava contains acompound called Linamar in. Linamar in itself isn’t deadly but when it’sintroduced to the human digestive system it breaks down into deadly hydrogencyanide. This toxin can affect vision, speech and cause paralysis in the limbs.Naturally, too much will lead to eventual death.
3. Baby Octopus
At first you may think that this exotic foodisn’t that dangerous. After all, many of us have had calamari or other types ofrelated seafood. This South Korean delicacy is a little different. Also knownas ‘san Nak JI’, this food is the chopped tentacles of a baby octopus. In fact,this dish is delivered to you so fresh that the tentacles are still moving. What’sso dangerous? While there isn’t any poison, novices who try this dish have beenknown to choke to death when the still- alive suction cups stick to the insideof their throat. It’s another good reason to chew your food before you swallow.
Also known as pangium edule, this SoutheastAsian tree produces a large nut that some people eat and use as a spice incooking. The catch here is that the fruit contains a very high level ofhydrogen cyanide which can be deadly to humans. In order to make sure that yourkepayang fruit is safe to eat, you must first boil it in water and then bury itin mixture of ash, banana leaves and dirt. After around 40 days, the toxin willbe gone and the fruit and seeds can be used to prepare any number of regionaldishes.
1. Giant Bullfrog
What’s so dangerousabout eating frogs? After all, the French have been eating frog’s legs for along time and it hasn’t killed them. In this case, things are a bit different.The giant bullfrog or Namibian bullfrog as it’s also known, can weigh upwardsof four and a half pounds and is a source of food in some parts of Africa.People who eat this need to be careful, however. The skin and organs of thisfrog are highly toxic. The poison can cause everything from painful urinationand kidney failure to death. To lessen the risk, those who cook up thesemassive frogs line their pots with wood which is supposed to absorb the excesspoison.